• 25 MAY 16
    • 17

    Short method of diagnosis

    Many people have called and asked if there isn’t a shorter method of diagnosing Auto-Brewery Syndrome than a 24 hour hospitalization. So I’ve been searching and found an older article from 1990 by Hunnisett and Howard titled “Gut Fermentation (or the ‘Auto-Brewery’) Syndrome: A new Clinical test with initial observations and discussion of clinical and biochemical implications”. They describe a simple blood test. I have tried contacting the authors to get permission to post the article here but have not been able to get them (it has been 26 years after all!)

    Having said that, I hope they will not mind my quoting part of the article since I have cited it above:

    “With a tourniquet, a fasting 2 ml blood sample was taken in fluoride/oxalate anticoagulant and the patient given 1 g glucose in hardened gelatin capsules (Farillon Pharmaceuticals Ltd, Ashton Rd, Romford, Essex RM3 8UE, UK) (2 x 500 mg capsules) along with 100 ml of 4% glucose (a total of 5 g glucose). A further fluoride/oxalate blood sample was taken after 60 min. Blood glucose and EtOH levels were measured in each sample.

    For children the test can be abbreviated by omitting the venipuncture for fasting blood alcohol and glucose measurement, taking a sample only at 1 h post oral glucose load.

    An increase in blood EtOH over the test period is regarded as a positive result, indicating fermentation in the stomach and/or small bowel”

    I will send a copy of the article to our doctors and see what they think of the test! Let me hear from you folks following this blog, Barbara


    Leave a reply →
  • Posted by Regina on July 14, 2016, 1:33 am

    Dr. Cordell, my husband has been experiencing a severe form of this syndrome for months now. I’ve been trying to research ABS online and read that a fecal test had been performed on others. Would you have any thoughts on which testing would be most beneficial? My husband is finally able to see a G.I. Doctor soon therefore I’d like to relay to her any useful information as I just don’t have much hope in getting anywhere with the visit.

    Reply →
    • Posted by BARBARA CORDELL on February 25, 2017, 11:09 pm
      in reply to Regina

      The fecal test is a culture for yeast with dna identification.

      Reply →
      • Posted by Angela on July 1, 2017, 10:17 pm
        in reply to BARBARA CORDELL

        i have just had my results back of a feceal sample. I was sure i had a candida overgrowth for the last 12 months but it turns out I have a S. Cerevisiae overgroth instead i am not exericiencing intoxifiaction sysytem as yet but definately get drunk now days on a couple of drinks and the hang over the next day is as bad as if id been on a bender. No longer drinking. I am trying a low carb diet alongside good good vitamin supplements and a candida biokult probiotic i was not sure whether to go back to normal probiotics or wherther athe grapefuit helps with what i have. any help would be appreciated.

        Reply →
  • Posted by Tonya Furry on September 28, 2016, 7:04 pm

    I believe I have this, I go to a pain center monthly and they do drug testing and mine always comes back positive for alcohol. I don’t drink. Now they are taking 30 pills away from me monthly. I have been on methadone for many yrs. For pain now they say no pills due to the alcohol, for about 4 months I have been suffering not being able to function due to pain. I need some advice but don’t know where to get it. Can you Please help me? If you know of anyone, can you send to my email. tonyav1@centurylink.net. I will be so happy for any replies. Thank you, Tonya

    Reply →
    • Posted by BARBARA CORDELL on February 25, 2017, 10:54 pm
      in reply to Tonya Furry

      All the doctors I know are listed on this website. We keep searching for more! Barbara

      Reply →
  • Posted by Marcy on November 14, 2016, 11:59 pm

    I would be very interested in hearing what the doctors stated about this type of test.

    Reply →
  • Posted by Lisa on November 17, 2016, 6:20 pm

    Having try search what my problem is after starting B12 injections for 3 years, this condition seems to fit me to a tee. Gastroenterology dismissed me with no issues other then IBS. I’m on autoimmune medications but nothing has resolved these symptoms other than changing my diet to no carbs in the day, only protein and low carbs & protein for dinner. Having just come across this yesterday, I’m wondering whether a home breathalyser to test alcohol levels would work? I’ve gone down the home blood sugar monitor which hasn’t found any issues. Thanks!

    Reply →
    • Posted by barbara on March 19, 2017, 12:57 pm
      in reply to Lisa

      My husband has been suffering from this for the last 7 months after numerous hospital stays , doctors he keeps a breathalyzer with him at all times stays on nystatin, eats salads, chicken fish, salmon on salad, everything has to be wild, no antibiotic non GMO gluten free its taken a toll his life, he still has episodes we try to document everything. he is being seen by an immunologist/infectios disease doctor in RI and a functional doctor/gp in boston Neither of them have seen this before- we are desperate for anyone that has more information on this. He is not a drinker at all. He can’t even take a medicine with any trace alcohol in it without a reaction.

      Reply →
  • Posted by Lisa Hays on June 23, 2017, 4:02 am

    Where can my husband go to get tested for this? We live in Pennsylvania. We need help. Thanks.

    Reply →

Leave a reply

Cancel reply